The #1 Guide On Being A Remarkable Human Being
- Live Your Own LifeThere is nothing remarkable about someone who is constantly trying to be like other people. Be yourself and be the best you that you can possibly be.
- Be AuthenticMean the things you say and do. Authenticity is not very common these days but when it is there, it shines through your words and actions and is very powerful for creating bonds with others.
- Come Up With Your Own SayingsCome up with your own quirky and original sayings. People will take notice and it may even catch on. By coming up with your own original sayings you stand out from everyone else who just uses clichés.
- Leave Others Better Than You Found Them
Make it a habit to leave people in a better state then you found them. Happier, healthier, stronger, wealthier. This is a major way of being remarkable.
- Help People Without Wanting Anything In ReturnVolunteer to help other people out. Give some of your time, money or resources to help a fellow human being and expect absolutely nothing in return.
- Don’t Try To Be PerfectBe creative and abstract instead of trying to live up to other people’s expectation of perfect. You can achieve great and beautiful things without them living up to the general consensus of perfect.
- Face Your FearsPeople who avoid things because they are scared will never be remarkable. Face your fears and conquer them. Do you think Lance Armstrong would have been remarkable if he had given up cycling after he had cancer?
- Take The PlungeBe that person who does what others won’t do. If others are too scared to attempt something that you are not scared to do, just go out and do it with all your passion and energy.
- Question The NormJust because something is done by millions of people around the world in a certain way does not mean it is the right or the only way to do something. Question the norm and don’t be afraid to do something differently.
- Expose YourselfGet up on stage or in front of people. Risk putting your ideas and creativity out in public, available for criticism and humiliation. What if Jay Z would have been to scared to perform in public and kept all his talent and art to himself in his basement?
- Start Your Own TribeBe a leader instead of a follower. Build up a community or tribe of like minded people who will follow you and use your power to make a difference for the better in this world.
- Say NO To ThingsIf something goes against your principles or you don’t really want it, say NO. You might risk offending some people, but most will respect you for having strong boundaries and sticking to them.
- You Are Enough
Have the mindset that you have all the assets to be remarkable. You have talent and you have a gift. Share it with the world.
- Be OptimisticOptimism and smiles are contagious. Make the world a happy and positive place.
- Be confidentKnow what you want and be confident that you are going to get it. I think that all remarkable people share the trait of confidence.
- Be HumbleArrogance and vanity are not traits to associate with people you respect and think highly of. No matter how good, famous or wealthy you are, stay humble with both feet on the ground.
- Create something that brings joy to other peoples livesArt, a painting, a video clip, a film, a song, a poem, a book and so on and so forth. Be artistic and express your talent in a form that it can be shared with everyone without the expectation of getting rich from it. It’s your gift to the world.
- Invent something that everyone needsThe disposable razor or a cigarette lighter for example. There could be one little thing that seems so simple yet will make the lives of millions of people so much easier.
- Take something that works and make it betterThe Japanese are pretty good at this. They took a normal train and change it into the fastest train in the world (bullet train). Take a normal and existing concept and make an exceptional change to it.
- Start a movementPeople look for a leader, someone who takes charge and takes initiative. Someone who has good intentions and wants to make a big change for the better. Be that leader and start a movement to change something that is not right in this world.
- Fight for peace and freedomAll around the world there is so much unnecessary war and suffering. It seems impossible for one person to make a difference, but if everyone thinks like that, things will never change. Stop a war or change violent policies of a country and you will be remarkable.
- Preserve our planetRainforests are being destroyed, species wiped out, oceans overfished and beautiful ecosystems perish. Make a difference and start a movement to do something about the destruction of our planet.
- Help the hungryThere are so many people dying of hunger all around the world every single day. Do something to make a lasting difference. One idea I had was to get every person travelling on a plane to forfeit their meal for the hungry. A combined effort by all passengers would result in thousands of meals a day that could be given to hungry people all across the world.
- Push the limits (break a record)If you can do something that nobody else has been able to achieve, then you will not only get noticed but you will certainly be remarkable. You may just be the psychological inspiration for many others to get past the level that was always thought of as unbreakable.
- Revolutionize an industryWaltz into an industry or niche with a great idea or new perspective and put that idea in motion. If you can improve or revolutionize the way an entire industry does something then you are pretty remarkable.
- Tell Compelling Stories
Stories are an amazing way to share knowledge and experiences with others. If you know how to create compelling and fun stories, you can make a big impact on the lives of others. That’s remarkable.
- Think BetterBe a step ahead of everyone else. Think faster, better or more efficiently.
- Read More Interesting ThingsThe more you read, the more you shape your personality. The more interesting things that you read, the more likely you are to become an interesting (and remarkable) person.
- Don’t Be BoringOne requirement of being remarkable is that you are not boring. Be original, fun and get things done.
- Stop Making ExcusesEither do something or don’t do it at all. Don’t be someone who always has excuses to stall doing something or justify why you didn’t do something.
- Never Settle For AverageNever be content with average or mediocrity. When other people give up and settle, carry on going and be better than them.
- Do What You SayIf people can rely on you and they know that when you say something that you will do it, you are well on your way to being remarkable. If you make a promise, keep it.
- Don’t Aim To Be RemarkableAs contradictory as it sounds, most remarkable people never set out to be remarkable. They did what they loved and were really passionate and that is what got them to being remarkable.
- Gimmicks FadeWhat’s fashionable soon becomes unfashionable. While you might be remarkable for a time, if you don’t reinvest and reinvent, you won’t be for long. Instead of resting on your laurels, you must commit to being remarkable again quite soon.
This is what Seth Godin wrote about being remarkable:
- “Remarkability lies in the edges. The biggest, fastest, slowest, richest, easiest, most difficult. It doesn’t always matter which edge, more that you’re at (or beyond) the edge.
- Not everyone appreciates your efforts to be remarkable. In fact, most people don’t. So what? Most people are ostriches, heads in the sand, unable to help you anyway. Your goal isn’t to please everyone. Your goal is to please those that actually speak up, spread the word, buy new things or hire the talented.
There is a difference between being remarkable and between being noticed. For instance, running down the street naked will get you noticed but it certainly doesn’t make you remarkable. However, if you were to run naked down the street of big cities all across the world to raise money for the homeless, then you may have a very good chance at being remarkable.
I highly recommend Seth Godin’s Linchpin: Are You Indispensable for a much better perspective on how to be remarkable.